Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Mulch, Patio Talk

So... my latest bright idea. Probably not the brightest one I ever had. But brighter than the time I threw down about 5 bags of white gravel trying to make a small spot in the yard level enough to throw an outdoor dinner party.... see my problem? A bumpy lumpy yard. Yeah, I could get a dump truck of dirt. But the thought of all that dirt with two big dogs and a boy.... ugh. And no, I can't break up the ground and level - too many BIG roots.... I *should* get a dump truck of gravel, that's what I really want, a tuscan country courtyard patio... but Frank is not convinced (and he wants to wait 'til next year to work on the landscaping so all discussions are on hold there). But I need a place to put the table so we can enjoy the yard this year, bbqs, etc... and bark mulch seems like a decent temporary solution: it composts in time and will turn back into yard if I let it, with the added benefit of a more level yard than I had... I can still put gravel on top of it next year if that's what we do, or sand and pavers... or whatever. So bark. I need about 10 more trees worth... and a bunch of rain to pack it all down... and then maybe it will be ok. Hopefully in time for our first bbq of the year, whenever that will be.



Here is some gravel patio inspiration:









And yeah, I say I want a tuscan gravel patio area... but what I really want is something paved and totally unique and cool. Something like this maybe... only with a curving rock wall that can serve as a seat as well... fun.





Since I'm dreaming, I'd also like a big old outdoor fireplace. Even better if it had a pizza oven in it!



4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Love the inspiration pics. I thought you'd like this one - a low spiral wall to sit on, around a patio:
http://tinyurl.com/3d4w5m

1:27 AM  
Blogger Pam @ The Blue Between said...

LOL Jen - I have that picture in a book - in fact, that might even be a digital that I took of it, I swear I posted it on this blog awhile ago, I just couldn't find it! Thanks :D

8:10 AM  
Blogger laura said...

I want a gravel patio too but my husband needs a little more convincing. Maybe when I show him all the pictures on your blog... Good luck.

7:55 AM  
Blogger jeane kenneth said...

Perfect timing, just yesterday I blogged about inspiring outdoor patios as I am in search of outdoor furniture. This will be a great place to start looking. Wind spinners

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home